An introduction by Andy Collier
This video presentation and Q&A for the FD Centre from our friends at My Inhouse Lawyer covers employment law issues surrounding “returning to work” in the context of Covid-19. In 30 minutes, Jonathan Waters covers the following areas:
- An introduction to employment protection rights and Employment Tribunals
- Challenges posed by Covid 19.
- What steps do I need to take to protect employees whilst at work ? Risk assessments and the duty of care.
- Liability for Health & Safety at work claims.
- Making redundancies – during and after furlough.
- What if an employee refuses to return to work ?
- If an employee is unwilling to travel to work on public transport, is that my problem ?
- Flexible working requests and how to manage them.
The session is presented by Jonathan Waters, LLB, LLM, MCIArb, CMC. Registered Mediator, Barrister and Dispute Resolution Expert at My Inhouse Lawyer.
Jonathan qualified as a barrister and started his career as an employment lawyer before moving inhouse to a listed hotel company where he became Group General Counsel and Group Company Secretary. Jonathan was also Group Legal Director of the British Medical Association and more recently General Counsel at an international free trade and arbitral association.
Jonathan has extensive experience of advising employers – from SMEs to listed companies to trade and professional associations on a full range of employment issues from discrimination to dismissal. Jonathan’s approach to employment problems is a very commercial and highly practical one, designed to put the employer in the driving seat. Jonathan’s expertise has been recognised by his inclusion in The Lawyer Magazine Hot 100 Lawyers.
More on Jonathan’s background can be found here.